ChurchesChurchesOfficiant ServicesService OrganizationsWedding Venue
Our congregation—The Episcopal Church of Chequamegon Bay—meets at Christ Episcopal Church, which traces its beginnings to 1856. The present building, listed on the National Register of Historic Places, was erected beginning in 1870, with later additions of the bell tower (1883) and the high altar, apse, and beautiful stained-glass windows (1893). Two of the stained-glass windows depict grapes and sheaf of wheat representing the elements of Holy Communion. A trio of windows above the altar was given in thanksgiving for a safe return from a storm on Lake Superior in 1892. An icon hanging in the church depicts the Madonna and Christ Child, and also the local life of the area (e.g., eagle, Apostle Islands, apple).
If the church is not open, walk around the church, sit on a bench, and enjoy the peace of the gardens near the building, which is constructed of local white pine.
The mission of the church (part of the Diocese of Eau Claire) is to witness through liturgy, music, and outreach to the community.
Contact the church to arrange a wedding or a memorial service—in the church or outside in the garden.