Apostle Islands National Lakeshore
Service OrganizationsApostle Islands National LakeshoreHikeSouvenir & Specialty GiftMuseumsKids ActivitiesMuseumsSouth ShoreLighthousesTravel Green
Apostle Islands National Lakeshore is Bayfield's hometown national park. 21 islands and a 12 mile strip of mainland shoreline provide opportunities for boating, sailing, kayaking, camping, hiking, swimming, fishing, and touring historic lighthouses. 80% of the park's land area was permanently protected as the Gaylord Nelson Wilderness in 2004. An accessible wilderness, National Geographic named the Apostle Islands the nation's most pristine and sustainable national park in 2005. Learn about the park, see the award winning short film, and purchase Apostle Islands-related books and related gear at the park visitor center (free!) in the old Bayfield County Courthouse (Washington Avenue between 4th and 5th).
- Camping available on 19 islands (permit required)
- For current information on the ice caves, call (715) 779-3397 x3
- Miles of pristine beaches on the islands and the mainland
- Take a self-guided tour of the Hokenson Fishery at Little Sand Bay
- Aerial photo by William Cronon