Lighting Director (2021 Season)
Lighting Director - Summer 2021
Big Top Chautauqua is a performing arts organization presenting a 50+ summer show season of touring
artists (Ziggy Marley, Michael Franti, Bonnie Raitt, Shakey Graves and more), as well as original shows by
our house band the Blue Canvas Orchestra. Big Top Chautauqua operates a state of the art canvas tent
theater located on the base of Mt. Ashwabay Ski Hill, just south of Bayfield, Wisconsin.
The Lighting Director is responsible for the set up and take down of all light builds; load-ins and load-outs,
designing light shows and operating lights for each show as needed. This position reports to the
Specific duties include but may not be limited to:
- Supervise all artistic decisions involving lighting always working cooperatively with Production Manager, and guest artist production personnel.
- Order and maintain lighting equipment and supplies for stage and tent grounds according to budget. This includes gels, lamps and supplies for tent and exterior grounds lighting as well as stage.
- Maintain inventory of lighting equipment pre and post season.
- Maintain up-to-date house lighting plot.
- Produce light plot for each house show. Maintain and update lighting cues in house show scripts; see that scripts are stored safely. Prepare for and participate in rehearsals according to schedule worked out with the Production Manager.
- Communicate with touring artists regarding their lighting needs. Be prepared to hang and focus lights per their requests, and be available for lighting checks.
- Make arrangement for any needed equipment cleaning and/or storage at end of season.
- Assist stage crew in all load-ins and load-outs.
- Responsible for set-up, maintenance and strike of all house lighting at venue in pre and post season.
- Alert Operations Manager to any physical needs or safety concerns requiring maintenance including grounds and structures both backstage and in all public spaces so that it can be fixed in a safe and timely manner.
This position runs between early June and mid-September.
Work may be 40+ hours per week and will require weekend and evening work.
• Pay dependent on qualifications and length of employment
• Housing accommodations are provided on venue grounds
• Guest Pass to all performances
• Discounts at Big Top Gift Shop
For inquiries or to apply please send cover letter and resume to: email@example.com