Executive Director Great opportunity for ambitious self-starter to grow our organization. Mt. Ashwabay Outdoor Recreation Area and summer home of Big Top Chautauqua seeks Executive Director to manage all aspects of its (1) winter ski hill operations and summer programming, (2) summer food and beverage service, and (3) fundraising for Ashwabay Outdoor Education Foundation, the 501(c)3 that supports the ski hill. Candidate should have managerial and human resource skills, working knowledge of cash management and bookkeeping, and experience in marketing, advertising, and fundraising. Go to www. mtashwabay.org for more information about our organization and how to apply. Resumes must be postmarked by July 31st, 2017.
Position Title: Executive Director
Reports To: Board of Directors
FLSA Status: Exempt
Under the direction of the Board of Directors, the Executive Director is responsible for overall management of Ashwabay Outdoor Educational Foundation’s (AOEF) day-to-day activities including all winter and summer ski hill operations and all summer food and beverage operations.
The Executive Director is responsible for overall day-to-day operation of AOEF, a 501(c)3 non-profit organization that (1) operates Mt. Ashwabay Ski and Recreation Area’s winter and summer facilities and (2) manages the summer concessions for Big Top Chautauqua. ( Big Top Chautauqua has expressed its intention to move within 2 years. If this occurs, Ashwabay hopes to expand further into summer recreation activities including such possibilities as: biking, camping, yurts (lodging), weddings, chairlift rides and festivals/events.) The Executive Director is also responsible for:
· Supervising and integrating all areas of operations, food and beverage service, ski school, ski patrol, marketing, and retailing. Must have the ability to recognize the need for specific policies and make appropriate recommendations to the Board.
· Handling all account functions including financial planning, reporting, budgeting, and projections. Managing all department financial objectives and working with individual departments to achieve cooperative objectives as defined by the Board.
· Working with the Board to determine long-term business and capital plans and strategic planning.
· Managing all aspects of human resources including, but not limited to, payroll, hiring and termination, developing position descriptions, setting compensation, and ongoing supervision.
· Managing the business relationship between Big Top Chautauqua and actively participate and manage AOEF’s involvement with community-related groups such as lodges and inns, local chambers of commerce, and other community organizations.
· Writing and managing grants and developing marketing and fundraising activities that support the on-going effort to promote AOEF.
· Supervising and understanding the physical condition of the lift, equipment, and grooming machines. Must be creative in determining the best means of operating and keeping the recreation area open.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
· Administration and Management — Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources, and coordination of people and resources.
· Economics and Accounting — Knowledge of economic and accounting principles and practices.
· Customer and Personal Service — Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
· Sales and Marketing — Knowledge of principles and methods for showing, promoting, and selling products or services.
· Grant writing skills and fundraising experience.
· Strong oral and written communication skills.
· Excellent customer service orientation.
· Ability to make decisions and handle crisis situations.
· Good managerial, people and supervisory skills.
· Strong analytical and financial skills.
Education and Experience
· Business or Management degree or equivalent experience preferred.
· Ski Industry, Recreation or Hospitality management experience preferred.
While performing the duties of this job, the Executive Director is regularly required to sit, stand, walk, speak, and hear. The position requires computer use so the employee must have sufficient hand dexterity to use a computer keyboard and be capable of reading a computer screen. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds. The position is rather active and requires a significant amount of time spent outdoors. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable otherwise capable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Mt. Ashwabay offers a competitive starting salary of $35,000-40,000 with the ability to negotiate bonuses based on experience and fundraising ability.
How to Apply: For consideration, please send cover letter, resume, and three letters of reference to AOEF Secretary Kathy Noteboom, 31700 Star Route Rd, Bayfield, WI 54814
July 31, 2017